Saturday, June 25, 2016

Scripted Social Author Event 2016

WOW!  What an event!  So many awesome authors & readers & bloggers, the swaggy goodness (altho I tried to keep the swag to a minimum this go-around because I really need a decorating plan for my library before I go crazy w/ more swag!  LOL  I'm thinking frames, but we'll see.), the TREATS!  Yes, authors had treats at their tables, and that was awesome!  

This Scripted Social Event was put on by Southern Belle Book Blog & they did a WONDERFUL job!  Seriously, the table spacing, the volunteer coordination, everything was just marvelous.  I really enjoyed being a volunteer, too!  I was originally going to sit w/ my author-pal, Rochelle Paige, but things got moved around & I ended up being the ticketer-wrist bander for Olivia Cunning.  

I almost thought I wasn't going to make it in time - I arrived in Des Moines Friday night, so I'd be in town on Saturday & not have to leave home super early.  Heh.  Plus, I love hotel stays.  So, today, I headed out from the hotel in plenty of time to grab some coffee & get to the event.  I thought.

Turns out, the Starbucks that is like five minutes away from the hotel was hiding from me this morning.  D'oh!  THEN, I had the adventure of driving around downtown Des Moines for an hour, trying to find where to park.  There were several garages, but the one I pulled into apparently was the reserved one.  *sigh*  Then I found a Holiday Inn & asked if I could hop a ride on their shuttle, since I'm staying at a different IHG hotel & am an IHG member.  They said sure!  Yay!  Except... the shuttle had just left to take someone to the grocery store.  D'oh!  The front desk ppl were super helpful & tried to give me some options (Uber, calling me a cab) but those didn't work out.  I did get to see some ppl who were there for a wedding, tho.  That was cool.

So, I called Erin to tell her I was lost & running late, and she graciously said it's no problem & she'd see me when I got there.  I went back downtown to try again to find parking, and ended up at a DIFFERENT Holiday Inn.  And this one had a shuttle coming back in a few minutes.  Perfect!  I joined the square dancers & - did I mention there is also a square dancing convention going on here this weekend?  Yeah, ppl are in some pretty kickass costumes, too!  The square dancers were all suuuuuper nice & we dropped them off first.  I made it to the Marriott only 10 minutes late!  GOD IS GOOD!

Of course, because I was late & already frazzled, I was REALLY frazzled trying to get to all my pre-order authors.  And not be a dork.  But, let's face it.  I am now and will always be, a dork.  So, embrace it & be honest & move on!  :)  And make ppl laugh in a good way, bringing joy!!  I think I accomplished that... I know the authors & bloggers & readers I met brought ME immense amounts of joy!  : )  

Rochelle was coming out as I arrived, so I was able to give her a hug.  I love hugs, but I forget to ask for pictures & hugs when I'm at the author's table... D'oh!  Goal for the next signing... 

Scott & Jessica Hildreth were my first table, and they are OMH SUPER SWEET!  They had to deal w/ being my anti-anxiety peeps (in the grand tradition of Amber Nation & Savannah Stewart at my first multi-author signing in Indy two years ago...*grin*).  Scott gave me a fist bump & then said, "That'll make sense when you read it."  LOL  Yup, makes sense now!  





I made it to most of my pre-order peeps before it was time to put my Ticket hat on for Olivia Cunning.  Stacey Lynn had cookies & cupcakes, which were yummy!  Kristen Mazzola gave me a purple rubber ducky.  So cute!  Her BFF/assistant was awesome at the upsell for her books, too!  Kathryn Andrews... gosh, her Hale Brothers series blew me away & I got the box set - which is HUUUUGE - & it was so nice chatting w/ her!  Karla Sorenson - oh my heck, I didn't realize I have all her books, but haven't read them yet, but her covers are beautiful!  And she was one of my favorite ppl to meet!  

  


And then there's the HUGE surprise I got at Kelly Elliott's table... I'd pre-ordered Broken Love, because it's one of my favorites of hers (my favorite is Broken - and in this awesome bag that I won was a puzzle of Broken!!!  Squee!!!) and she said, "Oh!  Carrie!  You won!"  and I'm all like, "Oooh, what'd I win?  Keychain?  Signed book?"  And she pulls out this bag full of stuff & it's a really cute bag & I'm all excited!!  AND THEN she pulls out ... A KINDLE!  I won a Kindle!!!  *flop*  I was floored.  What a blessing!  I'd been debating buying one for a while (ever since I got my new phone) & was pretty well set on it & BAM!  God is good, ALL THE TIME!  *bounce*  


Mr Bear wanted in on the action in most of the photos.  
LOL

My Kelly Elliott bag also included that awesome puzzle & Love You to the Moon plaque!  
LOVE!!!  



Tijan was a lot of fun & Amy Daws... oh my goodness, sweetheart!  I know I keep saying that.  Her banner (which was really cool) made me think of a different book & I thought I had met her in Chicago, but she wasn't in Chicago, so ... whoops!  Then I felt bad, but her covers were also amazing & I the books sound good, so I had to have one!  : ) 

Now, Ticketing!  It was CRAZY there for a while, but so much fun.  Everyone was happy & patient & so nice!  And I was able to set all my stuff in the corner behind Olivia's table, where it was safe & sound & I didn't have to carry everything everywhere.  I only pre-ordered 10 books & yet somehow came out of there w/ two bags full of books... LOL  (LOVE IT!!!)  

Happily, the crazy part of the line died down about 2:30/3 & I was able to go around to more tables & then head out.  






One of my favorite box set book covers!  
I believe Elle designed this... : )  



Kandi gave me a cookie, and I think Allison may have given me chocolate dipped cookies?  Someone did, and they were delicious!  I haven't eaten Kandi's cookie yet.  But I'm sure it's delicious.  I also got to meet Maggi Myers... Again, SO NICE!  Her BFF was her assistant, too - I love all these friends traveling together & hanging out at the signings & supporting each other.  Makes my heart happy!  : )  

Allison Bliss, Staci Hart, Kandi Steiner, Tracey Garvis Graves, and of course ROCHELLE were my other pre-orders.  All ppl I would have liked to have hugged & gotten pictures w/ (read: EVERYONE) but I don't have ANY.  By the time I made it to Tracey & Staci, my back was spasm-ing (even w/ setting the books in the corner, because I didn't move around enough w/ the clipboard, my back punishes me.  Grrrr) and hugs & pictures weren't on my mind.  Til I left, because of COURSE I think of it then.  *sigh*  

Anyway, can we talk about the awesomeness of Staci Hart's picture book for Wasted Words for a moment?  It's gorgeous, and I adore the concept!  I believe the couple who modeled for this story are a real-life couple, and seriously, you can feel the love & playfulness & amazing chemistry.  *swoon*  



So, that was my adventure at this round of bookie goodness.  : )  My next event is Writers On The River in East Peoria, IL, on July 9th.  I was on the fence about going, but then one of my favorite authors who will be there (A.D. Ellis - read her!!!) PM'd me to ask if I was going & how could I say no?!  So, that tipped me over.  It's only a couple hours away, too, so I can make it a day trip.  : )  Oh, AND CP Smith will be there, and I haven't met her, but I have loved all her books, and we've chatted on FB, so I want to meet her in person!  

I'd hoped to get to watch Leyton play baseball while we were all here, but his game today was at 10, so I didn't have time to go before the signing.  And apparently they didn't play well today (*frown*) so no game tomorrow.  But at least they get to go to the trampoline place tonight!  : )  

How's your weekend been?  What's happening in your world??  And what authors would you like to meet (or have you met)?!  : )  TTFN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment