Saturday, November 22, 2014

Author Spotlight - Skye Turner

I had another author planned for tonight's post, but after finishing the final Bayou Stix book, Alluring Surrender, just now - I rearranged & our next spotlight goes to: 

Skye Turner!!  : )  

I'm not sure how I discovered the Bayou Stix series - I know book 2 was on my wishlist for a while before I was interested in the other books, because I love the name Blue.  : )  However, the price of $4.99 was a little intimidating to me at the time.  I moved very slowly into the e-book world, and for the most part, I wasn't willing to spend more than $1 on an e-book, no matter how good it looked.  There were plenty of free & 99 cent books, and if I really felt strongly about a book, I'd pay more to get it in paperback.

I started following Skye on FB long before I read any of her books.  I love her updates & the way she handles herself via social media.  You can tell she loves her family, and family comes first with her.  You can tell she has a passion for not only her stories, but authors.  She feels very strongly about supporting other authors, about this world of indie authors NOT being a competition, but being an opportunity for ppl who love to write and ppl who love to read good stories to come together and share in that joy.  I LOVE that philosophy as it aligns with my own.  

One day, book 1 in the series, Alluring Turmoil, went on sale or I noticed the price was $2.99 rather than $4.99 & I decided to give the series a try.  That was in August.  I really enjoyed the story and writing style, but there was a back & forth that annoyed me, and I wasn't sure for a bit that I would continue with the series.  But the further into the story I got, the more I fell in love w/ these characters.  And by the end, I really wanted to read the other stories, because Skye did SUCH a great job of writing an ensemble cast without overshadowing the main couple's story.  

But, the $4.99 thing was still causing me to hesitate.  I read AT in August, and didn't give in to my desire to continue the series until October.  I dove into Blue & Jessie's story, Alluring Seduction, right away, and fell HARD.  So hard, in fact, that I immediately purchased & read book 3, Alluring Temptation, after finishing that story.  As you can see from my review, I fell even harder for Clove & Liam.  



sorry for the slightly whacked photos from my kindle.
i STILL can't figure out how to do screen shots on this computer!
but you get the idea - she has awesome covers to go along w/ the awesome stories!

Each story in this series sucked me in and made me love all the characters.  I wanted to get to know them even more, and suddenly my prejudice against pricing was gone, and I just wanted the next story NOW!  So, I waited approximately 2 weeks and then bought Alluring Infatuation.  : )  

AND THEN I HAD TO WAIT A WHOLE MONTH for the final book, Alluring Surrender, to be out.  However, I did pre-order that one as soon as the option was available, such is my love for this series!  *grin*  And let me tell you, while Alluring Temptation was set to be my all-time favorite in the series, this final installment did it's best to blow that out of the water.  The epilogue was brilliantly written.  Delicious with the updates!  

One of the hardest things to do with an ensemble cast is to make sure each character/couple get plenty of air time in their book, while still maintaining the relationships they each have w/ other characters and catching up fans of previous couples, while setting up for future couples.  Skye NAILS it with this series.  Completely, totally NAILS it!  There was a little stumble in AI, in my opinion, with this concept (I didn't feel like Dade & Melonie got to be together together as in "in the same room" for enough of the story), but that didn't diminish my enjoyment any, so in that way it worked!  

So, with the final installment read, I will miss my Bayou Stix pack, but I know Skye has some really great things planned for 2015, and I'm looking forward to reading more of the stories in her head.  And, although she hasn't mentioned any plans to go in this direction - the Bayou Stix gang did have a passel of kids when all was said & done, so a spin off series could conceivably happen, if the characters speak up... *grin*  

I also continue to look forward to her FB updates - she is SUPER busy w/ her family & writing the actual stories that we love, and she still manages to have one of the most engaging and consistent online presences I've seen from any author (with the exception of maybe Colleen Hoover, who is obsessed with Instagram.  *laugh*  And we love it!), and I truly admire her for that.  I admire her for always putting her family first, for not being shy about that fact.  And I admire her for still taking time to interact with her fans and to acknowledge their contributions in her life.  

Below are the Amazon links along w/ Skye's FB page, if you'd like to check her & her boys out for yourselves.  : )  I highly recommend it, obviously!  ; )  

Skye Turner on FB 
Alluring Turmoil
Alluring Seduction
Alluring Temptation
Alluring Ties
Alluring Infatuation
Alluring Surrender


ttfn!

No comments:

Post a Comment